The original recipe is by Danielle of Against All Grain but I modified it just a little bit (less honey, removed the coloring option, etc.). You know what is super cool about this recipe? I made it with 6 ingredients! Awesome... :) I have had a really hard time finding a coconut milk ice cream in the store that doesn't have ingredients we try not to eat or a bunch of agave or other sweetener in it.
You may be wondering if you have to have an ice cream maker to create this delicious treat. My answer is definitely YES! There are recipes out there (that I've tried) that claim you can make ice cream without the ice cream maker and it turned out terrible every time for me. Try it if you want but I think the ice cream machine was definitely worth the investment! :D
1 can full fat coconut milk (light coconut milk will not be as creamy & is more likely to get freezer burn)
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
1/3 cup raw honey
2 cups cold almond milk or coconut milk (I used all coconut milk for this last batch)
1/3 cup diced avocado
1 tbs coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped (Here is a recipe to make your own chocolate chips or you could always go for the easy option like I did this time and chopped up an 85% Green & Black's dark chocolate bar)
1. Place the coconut milk and mint leaves in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes
2. Place the warm coconut milk, mint, and honey in a bowl and mix until the honey has dissolved. Stir in the almond milk and peppermint extract (if using).
4. Pour the mixture into a blender and add the avocado & coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
5. Place mixture in an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions until the mixture has reached a soft serve consistency.
6. Stir the chocolate in by hand.
7. Spoon the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
8. Serve & enjoy!